Fact ... or Fiction about Childbirth????
It seems that the minute people find out you're pregnant, they want to share every piece of information they know regarding pregnancy. Whether it is an experience they had themselves or an old wives tale, the urge is just too compelling not to share.
There are tales for everything from your diet to how you carry your baby determining the baby's sex. But old wives tales are just what they claim to be-old tales passed on from generation to generation. They are not based on medical research or claims, but are sometimes better known than national political leaders.
We thought it would be fun to list several old tales and see if they fit your pregnancy. If you have heard of one that's not listed, please click here and tell us about it so we can share it with others.
Is It A Boy? Or A Girl?
- Suspend a wedding band held by a piece of thread over the palm of the pregnant woman. If the suspended ring swings in an oval or circular motion, the baby will be a girl. If the ring swings back and forth in a straight line, the baby will be a boy. There is also a version done with a needle and thread above the mother's wrist or her belly. Results are the same.
- If you carry your baby high and tight, it is a boy. If you carry your baby low and wide, it's a girl.
- If you crave fruits and vegetables, it's a boy. If you crave meats and starches, you will have a girl.
- If you crave sweets, you're having a boy. If you crave salty foods, you're having a girl.
- If the hair on your legs is growing faster than before you were pregnant, you're having a boy. If it is growing at the same rate or slower, you're having a girl.
- If your feet are colder now than before you were pregnant, you're having a boy. If they are the same as before, you're having a girl.
- If your husband is gaining weight right along with you, you're having a boy. If he hasn't gained any weight, you're having a girl.
- If your hair is gray, you're having a boy. If your hair is not gray (natural or dyed), you're having a girl.
- If you have morning sickness early in your pregnancy, you're having a girl. If you haven't had morning sickness, you're having a boy.
- If you look particularly good during pregnancy, you're having a boy. If you're not looking so good, you're having a girl.
- If your urine is a bright neon yellow color, you're having a boy. If it's a dull yellow, you're having a girl.
- If you must have orange juice everyday, you're having a girl. If you don't like orange juice, you're having a boy.
- If you're having headaches, you're having a boy. If you're not, you're having a girl.
- If someone asks you to show them your hands and you present them palms up, you're having a girl. If you present your hands palms down, you're having a boy.
- If you pick up a coffee mug by the handle, you're having a boy. If you pick it up by the body of the mug, you're having a girl.
Others wives tales not based on the baby's sex:
- If you have heartburn, your child will be born with a full head of hair.
- If you always keep socks or booties on your baby, it will not develop colic.
- Naming your baby before it is born is bad luck.
- Your memory will decrease during pregnancy.
- It's dangerous to exercise while pregnant. As this is not true, you should be evaluated by your physician before starting or continuing any exercise program while pregnant.
- Eating cheese will harm your baby. Unpasteurized cheese from the United States is safe. However, if you are traveling abroad, avoid unpasteurized cheese.
- Find a Doctor
- Aesthetic Services
- Chest Pain Center
- Clinical Nutrition
- Clinical Services
- Critical Care
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Heart and Lung
- Infection Control
- Lab and Pathology
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- New Beginnings Birthing Center
- Web Nursery
- Non-Clinical Services
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation
- Services Brochure
- Urgent Care
- Wound Care